So most of you who know us pretty well know that my dad died of Cardiac Arrest Tuesday afternoon. While his death was sudden, it was not unexpected. He was very ill and had deteriorated rapidly in the last 10 weeks. My mom and I feel that it was a blessing for him that he went quickly and didn't have to linger in pain for months and months.
Blessing or no, I am sure going to miss him. Dad's been a pretty big constant in my life. You could count on him. If I ever needed anything he took care of it. And when I made the really big mistakes that teenagers do (like bending the car door off its hinges or hitting the only other car in an empty parking lot) my dad's response was invariably-- "Hey, that's what insurance is for. " Or when I called in tears caused by a "B" in chemistry he said, "So what?". Giving me the perspective that I desperately needed. I knew I could count on him for loving support no matter what.
And, I could ask him anything in the world and he would know the answer. This was very useful. Who needs the internet when you've got a walking jeopardy game in your front room. I would watch in awe as he blew Ken Jennings away every single day.
Lately, though, the things that I remember the most are the times he spent with Nathan and Katie reading the same story time and time again, because they wanted to and he didn't mind. Or the time that he let Katie put stickers all over his face, or the many times he and Matthew worked the Jumble puzzle together. I saw him, more than once, hold my mom's hand or share a private joke with her. I am so glad for the last four years we've had to get to know our Grandpa better. What an incredible example of a steadiness, loyalty, and intelligence he's been. I cannot tell you how I'll miss him.
5 comments:
I'm so glad they moved here so that I could get to know him too, Gail. I think he has the greatest sense of humor and I loved talking to him after family dinners. What I great guy!
BTW... You've been tagged. Be sure and check my blog.
Gail, I am so very deeply sorry for your loss. What a very touching tribute to your dad. I have always thought he was a very nice man. My heart just breaks for you and for what you are going through. We are think about you and love you.
Gail,
I didn't read the post until just now. I loved my Uncle Mike...he was such a witty guy! I miss him, too.
Marie
xo
Gail,
I didn't read the post until just now. I loved my Uncle Mike...he was such a witty guy! I miss him, too.
Marie
xo
Post a Comment