Saturday, June 14, 2008

For Crying Out Loud


In deference to Sandy-loo who told me to "update my blog for crying out loud!!" I am attempting to come up with something super witty and cool to talk about, and not doing so hot. I'm supposed to be getting ready for my lesson on the Book of Mormon which is focusing on the Nephite system of Government and how important it is to have just people as leaders. Additionally, on another level, the lesson is about pride. There are so few doctrines I remember learning when I was a teenager and just starting out in the gospel. My testimony was legitimate, based on a spiritual witness that the Book of Mormon was true. But even as my heart burned within me, my knowledge of the gospel was very much in its infancy. I certainly hadn't been exposed to General Conference treatises or other important doctrinal works.

THe sole exception to this is President Ezra Taft Benson's talk on pride. This speech was seminal for me. I remember feeling like it was a mirror: pride is the universal sin, the great vice. It is enmity toward God and our fellowmen. I knew without a doubt that I was guilty of such enmity. I was full of pride (as are we all) and it exhibited itself in so many ways. But instead of feeling paralyzingly guilty (as I had after reading "The Miracle of Forgiveness") I was moved to root this pride out of my life. Back then and today. President Benson minces no words. We are guilty of pride when we are competitive, seek our own will above His, when we are competitive or contentious, selfish or gossip. We are guilty of Pride when we are disobedient or hold grudges. I may not be a mass murderer, but I've sure got a lot to root out of my life.

SUNDAY: well Rob got home from Youth conference and we spent the whole evening talking about the youth and how proud they are too. Anyway. Not an exciting blog entry, but a super good opportunity to examine my life a little. Thanks Sandy.

3 comments:

sandals said...

Love it Gail! Thanks so much for updating for crying out loud!

likeschocolate said...

Too funny! Well, I guess I don't have enough stuff on my blog either. However, I find it hard to find enough to blog about and refuse to blog about Twilight or the next American Idol. Sorry! Don't get me wrong I like both, but I am not sure if they are really worth blogging about. Aren't we all just infants in the gospel. Even though it all seems the same, I still learn new stuff every day. Thankgoodness, because I am so guilty of pride.

Julie said...

Gail,
I don't care what you write about, as long as you do write. It's great that I can see pictures of the kids and be on the fringes of you life, even though I live in Sacramento.
Julie