Friday, August 29, 2008

Breaking Dawn Review


Well, it's no secret that I'm not a huge fan of Stephanie Meyer, and yet, as addictions always go, I was unable to resist the temptation to read Breaking Dawn. I'll be up front, I didn't like it that much.

I feel like the best stuff from this series came in Books 1& 2 with a caveat that I was enthralled by the Pack's historical narrative from Eclipse. At best, I felt that it was anti-climatic. At worst I felt like it didn't sufficiently answer the ultimate question-- WHY WAS BELLA SO IMPERVIOUS TO EVERYONE-- (spoiler alert) I get that she was a shield. Doesn't work for me. What about the fact that she couldn't stand the cold. All evidence pointed to somethng more incredible than just being a shield. There was never any evidence that Alice or edward or anyone else had their gifts before their change, except maybe Carlisle (having been a doctor before being changed). I expected Bella to be an entirely new mythological creature, like a witch,perhaps, or maybe even something good, like a Phoenix. Was author trying to say that we all have amazing gifts that will be magnified if we become vampires? How about the more accurate truth that our gifts are from God and will be Magnified when we are faithful and use them for good. HMMMMMM?!!!

I've made no secret of my opinions about the appropriateness of this for children. In fact, I've heard (hearsay, not based in fact. Legal disclaimer) that she asked people not to let their pre-teens read this book and I know from a very reliable source, that after reading BD upon release, Scholastic had to remove it from their recommended reads because its content was considered too mature for schools. HALLELUJAH!!! The voice of Reason.

BTW: This poster will hopefully scare off every young girl that even considered watching the movie. YUCK!!!!

1 comment:

sandals said...

I agree, woman. I thought the breaking of the beds and whatnot was over-the-top and inappropriate especially for young readers. Oh well.