I finally did it. After much discussion and more weep, wailing, and gnashing of teeth (from the same family member. Are you sensing a Pattern? :) I turned in my DVR and cancelled the cable. Whoa. Hold on to your hats. It's not as heroic as it seems. As you know, I have been contemplating this move for a long time. The kids watch way too much TV and, if t
he truth be told, so do I. While I love my DVR for the relative ease and comfort it creates for me to watch all my favorite shows at my convenience, I so often found myself in front of it instead of getting accomplished ANYTHING on my ToDo list.
he truth be told, so do I. While I love my DVR for the relative ease and comfort it creates for me to watch all my favorite shows at my convenience, I so often found myself in front of it instead of getting accomplished ANYTHING on my ToDo list. When I turned into the box at the cable company they told me it would be $30 per month for the very basic local and shopping channels. I knew that in town there was a service offering local channels for $10 so I said keep your stinkin' limited basic cable. Then I called the other company which said they had raised their rates to $15 but added some channels so now I get local, +discovery kids, health, (not home, darn it) but TLC, Hallmark and Hallmark movies as well as animal planet. Know what--that's plenty AND I can watch the biggest loser online for free, mind you. So I cut the cord and saved myself $65 a month. Go Me.
4 comments:
We pay $100 for cable in the house but I think it is higher because we have the DVR and then 5 extra boxes. I have kept cable out of Adrienne's room. At least I can be proud of that.. if she wants to watch tv we have a perfectly good family room with a perfectly good tv in it. I do not watch tv because I have no clue what to do with the three remotes:) I guess that is a good thing. At any rate.. I think it is going to be a great thing for your family.
So...here's a little free advertisement. SKY-VIEW ROCKS! Glad you came to the light side. We've been without those other companies for years! :)
Did you know they (Sky-View) wouldn't renew their franchising with the big box cable outlets (HBO, Showtime, etc)? They said it was worth it to lose a few customers than to continue to be raked over by companies such as those.
Finally, a noble company. And local too. BTW, their phone and internet are just as fabulous!
**Do you think you could send 'em a link to your blog so I could get a few royalties for mentioning this? :) J/K. Well, sort-of.
Good decision. I have never had cable and I've never missed it. The other day there was a lady in line at the store and she was saying that her family has no TV and she's amazed at how her kids invent creative ways to play! And yes, Go Gail!
We got rid of our cable too. I rather enjoy it now.
Post a Comment