After much research, study and discussion, we decided that our family should have the H1N1 Vaccine as we have an infant in our home. TO this end we found out when it would be given out and resolved to just DO IT despite much weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth from one of our clan who will remain unnamed-- but who is older than all the other children :)_. As I passed the venue at 9 a.m. on this cold, rainy thurs. morning and saw cones and law enforcement galore, I knew this was going to be one crazy line. So I got in it. The drive-up clinic was scheduled to open at 1. I got in line at 10 and was the 6th person in line. Bentley and I hung out in the car until Grandma brought Nate after preschool. Then the three of us hung out for another hour with nothing to do. At 12 p.m. first responders and health care professionals were allowed through while we waited patiently. The plan was for Robert to pick up all the kids at 12 and bring them to me in plenty of time for the 1 p.m. opening.
The Best Laid Plans . . .
The nice police people began allowing everyone in my line to go, but I had no kids. This, too, happened to be the day that Rob's phone decided not to work so I called the elementary school in a panic. Found out that Rob got Matthew but forgot that Katie goes to that school too. Called Maggie's school and told the receptionist to tell Rob he forgot Katie. By this time I had pulled out of the line and told all the nice police people that I was waiting for my kids. They were patient with me, kind of.
Bear in mind that I have been hearing that health centers have been running out of the vaccine all over the country. So, I call back the elementary school and tell them to tell Rob to call me. When he does I tell him to forget picking up Amy and just get over here with the other kids. (Although Amy is probably the one who needs it most, frankly) He does, we get in line and then he says-- the line's going slow now, should I try and get Amy? (Schools about 1/2 mile away) Why not. So he left. We are now at the front of the line in our car with no Rob and no Amy when sprinting down the parking lot they come-- Just in time to get their shot. Definitely a Rocky Movie Music Moment.
Yea!!!The whole family is vaccinated in the van. It was a vancination.
Did I mention that the line, by 1 p.m. was about a mile long? Glad I got in line when I did.
4 comments:
I've loved your recent blog posts, Gail. Thank you!
A 'VANcination'...I love it! Sounds like something my DEAR brother-in-law would pop up with! Thanks Gail XO Aunt Diana
well i sure didnt!!!
amy
Probably a good decision! 2 days after you posted this I was down for the count with the flu for 10 days. It was horrible. But, you know how to treat the swine flu, right? OINKMENT. Yeah, it's not that funny.
Post a Comment