Most of you know that we have just finished an extensive, life-altering remodel. In addition to the blood, sweat, time and energy this has taken, there has also been a significant monetary investment. Especially on the carpet. Let's rewind a few years.
About 10 years ago I had a friend. You know the kind-- has it all together, is kind, beautiful, perfect, etc. I REALLY admired her and respected her opinion. She moved up in the world-- building a new house in the up and coming neighborhood in our area. I ran into her in the grocery store one day and asked her: Are you loving your new house. (I was, at this time, thinking of my leaky roof, chipped bathroom tile, and hideous yellow countertops-- I know you remember them, Angela:))
Anyway, I asked her about her house and she said, "Gail, in the end, it's just a house. The kids still throw up on the carpet"
Fastforward to present day. I am immediately reminded of this conversation. I am brushing my teeth, getting ready for bed when Rob yells "Katie, do you have to throw up?" I turn around and there is Katie Throwing up on my bedroom floor. She is delirious-- having just been unceremoniously awoken by her sudden illness. I grab her elbow and almost shove her into the bathroom to the toilet. I assume she knows the drill. I forget this is not a vomit-girl. I can't remember the last time she's thrown up. She proceeds to throw up all over the wall in the bathroom at which time some instruction ensues.
After some significant time cleaning walls, and three places on the carpet with the little green machine, I am reminded of Brooke's comment.
How much have I worried about this dumb carpet, the walls, etc. It's just stuff. All of it will be nicked, kicked, balled. I have six children. Hopefully with those nicks, kicks, and balls come incredible memories to create kind, responsible, thoughtful adults. For this I pray each day.
2 comments:
A very healthy attitude! They are just things. It is the memories created by family that are really important.
It is like the brand new car. We are not going to eat in this car. We are not going to drink in this car unless it is water. This car will stay perfect.. next thing you know.. you are hungry..in the car by yourself.. who is going to know if you run through Mcdonalds.. eat really quick..roll the windows down on the way home and dispose of the evidence? right.. then you think.. coffee.. it will be fine.. and then it becomes spring time in Alaska.. mud.. then comes that darn driver that throws up a rock and you get your first chip in the window.. next thing you know... it is no longer brand new.. and you deal with it.. I guess I am lucky our house is a work in progress.. I could care less when the cats puke on the concrete floors.. carpet would be another thing.. I guess you do want to keep your things as nice as possible as long as possible.. but yes in the end they are things..
Post a Comment