I have a couple of readers whom I highly respect that have chosen a different educational path for their children than I have. I respect that decision like you wouldn't believe and regularly mention that I don't have the patience or the discipline to be a home educator. That being said, I feel that my children have really benefited from being educated in a public setting. This debate is widespread among people I know. I am quite good friends with a number of people who have chosen a philosophy of homeschooling. Because of my friendship with these homeschoolers, and their genuine desire to seek learning for themselves, I have often found myself attending their classes, symposia, etc. They are genuine in their desire to provide the best for their children. AND, they often disapprove of my choice to educate my children in the public schools as if I don't care as much about my children as they do about theirs. One time I had a father tell me after seeing me at a program "I didn't know you home-schooled" in a truly condescending way. This particular person was continually getting on my nerves and I snapped back: "Do I have children in my home? Then I guess I am a home educator" ZING!!! but not terribly nice.
HERE GOES GAIL'S PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION:
I don't homeschool. I actually think my kids have benefitted from the creativity, discipline, intelligence and insight of the over 25+ adults that have mentored them in the last 8 years. They are incredible readers, compassionate citizens and have friends of innumerable backgrounds, and philosophies. I am involved in my child's classrooms and I keep their education from being "conveyor belt" by choosing their teachers (when possible) volunteering extensively in the schools, and knowing what they're learning. I salute those friends of mine who choose to homeschool. In many situations it is the best thing for the child.
I cannot.
I think my kids will be OK. True, they may have to deal with unpleasant temperaments-- both on the playground an in the classroom. They have to at home, too, and they'll have to when they become adults and are employed. They may also be exposed to people that have different values-- yep. I hope so. If I teach them well enough, they might even be a light to the world. Finally, their education may have holes-- that's why I'm here. To teach them what I know, what I've seen and how I think life should be lived-- to be responsible adults. Oh, yeah!! Because I'm their parent and really love them.
Even if I do send them to public school.
6 comments:
May I, an unmarried and childless woman, give my opinion?
It kind of sounds to me like you're defending yourself, Gail. I hope nobody has made you feel "less than" for your choice to send your children to public school. Your children are among the most well-adjusted, intelligent and compassionate I have ever met.
I, too, respect the decision to home-educate, but not for the purpose of shielding children from criticism, unpleasant realities, or opposing viewpoints. If you teach your children that all people are nice or will be nice, that everything is good or can be good, and that nobody has or should have opposing viewpoints, then you do them a disservice.
Let them fall down and scrape their knees! Let them see that not everyone looks, thinks, or acts as they do!
Well said Gail!
I'm just chuckling. It's kind of like your comment about a new house when your friend said the kids still throw up on the carpet. Have kids, the ownership is yours. We pick our battles regardless of the new home or old home, the carpet or the tile, homeschooling or public education.
I do think whatever you choose, it's as individual as sand. The important thing is that we all sincerely ask our Heavenly Father what he would want for his children...and follow it. That is the true measurement. What my child(ren) need(s) in the future I cannot say on my own merit, so I follow the guidance given me. As for you, I have no doubt that you have asked those same questions to your maker. I pass no judment over that except for admiration for your journey. I hope you see me through similar eyes.
We too have had some great teachers. AND some awful ones. That's life.
I read a great quote today:
"Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences
are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are
flexible -- the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family." --
Virginia Satir
Let us all learn together and share what we know. I hope our children can all understand their worth and continue to flourish in this life!
From one nurturing Mother to another.
Love, Your Friend
Connie
Connie, You are one of the amazing homeschool moms that reads this. I know you have never sat in judgment. Most people don't. I'm kind of reacting to the new converts to TJED who disparage public school regularly despite limited exposure to it. You are NOT one of those, AND, I'm not really all that offended :)
A very interesting post, Gail! As a public school teacher, I, of course, have certain opinions.
1. Yes, it is a personal decisions of the parents, but....
2. ...No matter how well-intentioned parents are, many of them do not have the education to be effective teachers. If they are able to be effective without the training, more power to them. But, what is EFFECTIVE?
3. Like your friend, Marie, I feel that the school experience is valuable in MANY ways. Children need to learn about the world in ways that homeschooling may not teach them. They need to learn about competition, patience, favoritism, conflict, and dealing with social problems to prepare them for life. Homeschooling may fall short on preparing them for those things. These are not "fun" experiences, but they are part of life and growth.
4. Parents also need to ask themselves WHY they want to home-school. Some reasons I have heard are very valid, others are downright disturbing. I have a friend, for instance who home-schooled her son for 1 year because they had just moved back to the US after being overseas and he was having adjustment problems. OK, valid, and it was only for 1 year. But I know of another family in So. CA who didn't like that there were many Asians and Hispanics in their child's classroom, and so they started homeschooling. They eventually moved up to UT to get away from "so many foreigners." Not valid in my book, just elitist and prejudicial.
5. And yes, there are great teachers and there are not so great teachers. But...like I said, these bumps are part of life, and dealing with them not only teaches the kids, but also teaches the parents, who ultimately teach the kids.
Overall, I am in favor of public (or even private) school education. It is important for parents to remember that education goes much deeper than just the book subjects. Whatever decision a parent makes, they should not judge a parent on what they decide. We don't know everything that goes on behind closed doors in a family.
I believe in public school.
Post a Comment