Thursday, January 20, 2011

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

I am on the cusp of conversion. To what? you ask. A new religion? No. Political affiliation? Again no. I am considering very carefully the origin of my food. Blasphemy! you say. After all, this is from the girl whose very recent motto has been "If Costco doesn't have it, we don't need it" Including grapes from Chile, lemons from Honduras, and Chicken from who knows where.

It all started when I watched an Oprah Show featuring a man named Michael Pollan. The one thing he said that really stood out was: "Don't eat food that won't eventually rot" then told of a twenty year old twinkie sitting on his desk. eeewwww. Also, the documentary Food, Inc.  Also EWWWWWWW!!!!.

I found this book in Costco-- 8.99 of interesting possibilities I just had to purchase.  I could not put it down.  AMAZING.  While not a huge fan of Barbara Kingsolver -- based on a "didn't love it" response to The Poisonwood Bible--I was intrigued.  A family plans to live only on what they can grow or barter or purchase locally for one year.  Would I ever do this-- probably not.  But a girl can dream-- of gardening, animal husbandry, and creative cooking.   I yearn for the satisfaction of taming the earth and elements-- ultimate power and independence.  I bet you didn't know that about me.  Digressing.  sorry.

Barbar Kingsolver has a gift.  She can make cheesemaking, chicken slaughter, and Turkey reproduction sound gratifying, indulgent and lovely.  It's 3:30 a.m. and my mind is not entirely clear.  I may even already have posted something about this book.  No matter.   But I can tell you that if you read this book, you will never look at food or supermarket purchases in the same way again.  Get it. Read It.  I DareYou.

6 comments:

Julie said...

First of all-what the heck are you doing up at 3:30 am (and not sewing?)? Second- the book sounds interesting. I might see if the library has it (trying not to purchase books right now), and Third-you need to read the Bean Trees, by Barbara Kingsolver. I like her earlier work much better than the newer stuff.

Lora Nehring said...

I LOVED this book! I read it two years ago. I gave always felt that it is better to grow your own food, be self-sustaining, but it is not always as easy as that. We don't live anywhere that I can do that. But I did order a kit and make my own cheese, and we try our little garden each year, and I have tried a few of the VERY yummy recipes at the back of the book. This is a lovely book about what a family can do together. I highly recommend it as well.

!If you really want to get turned off on the whole the-way-we-make-food-in-America, read The Omnivores Dilemma. It is an interesting read.)

Malea said...

I have already begun to dream of independence and self sufficiency. I am tentative to read more and become even more converted before I can make any changes. I appreciate the review. I certainly will read these books.

sandals said...

I am going to get it! Thanks for the amazing review!

Cathryn said...

Dana and I watched Food,Inc. about a year ago; we were shocked. Now, we try and buy organic or from the local farmers markets as much as possible. Also, red meat is gone. I never really liked it, but after watching the movie...well, a steak just isn't appealing anymore (and chicken isn't very far behind it). It is amazing what just one little documentary can do your family. :) I'll have to check out this other book!

mr catch said...

You should drop by my house again sometime. Greenhouse, chickens, rabbits and garden...oh my! Yes, I still live in the same place. :)

Hope you are well!
Connie