Hey, what's it like in your area economically? It seems like around here things are very scary. Everyone is affected by the slowing economy. It used to be that Real Estate agents were the only ones at risk in a housing slowdown, but around my neck of the woods nobody is unaffected. Moms are going back to work because Dads haven't worked for a while(usually in some sort of construction or contracting trade). But even seemingly unrelated areas are scaling back like engineering and accounting, even doctors are losing business in areas that are considered "non-essential". In SG alone, the city elected not to give the customary holiday bonuses, wouldn't hold a tree lighting ceremony for Christmas, and is cutting benefits. There is no work to be had-- in any sector. College students--eminently employable because of their willingness to do absolutely anything for money-- are not able to find work. I can't watch any of the 24 hrs news channels because I don't need them to tell me what's happening when I can see it in my own backyard. Our family scaled back Christmas and gave some of what we would have spent to those who needed it more than we did. What else can we do? Any ideas?
-WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS?
2 comments:
Things are about the same here in AZ. I went back to work full-time in August. I was working part-time for a landscaping company and things were slowing way down there so I decided I'd better move on.
I'm now working for the state of Arizona (Alden is too) and they have already been through one round of layoffs since I started four months ago. There have been talks of more layoffs because the state revenues are so far under what they predicted this year.
I know several people who have been out of work for months, who have lost their homes, etc. So it could be worse.
And every day I still have a job, I am grateful. I think things are tough everywhere and probably going to get worse before they get better.
Gail!!!! That's awesome!!! That was my due date, until I went in and got an ultrasound and I was a MONTH earlier than I had previously thought,so, instead of July 16th it's August 4. YYYAAAAY!
Post a Comment