Sunday, March 01, 2009

Hair Today!

I am so intrigued by all these Hair sites-- you know the ones , where sweet little girls sit quietly while mommy combs and plaits and rats and curls, the end result being works of ART. That is not me. In mormondom, especially, being able to do cute girl hair is almost a prerequisite for being a mommy. I am a failure in this department. I have neither the time nor the desire to do such things with my children's hair-- except on Sunday which brings us to this morning's events.

Every Sunday I decide that it's extremely important to be coiffed at church. My children wait patiently while I do all that jazz-- curl, rat, etc. Usually, I'm fairly restrained (mostly because I have no skills in this area) But today my focus fell on Poor M. She has the most beautiful long straight hair the color of milk chocolate. I personally know minnions who would kill for it. But today I put it in dog tails (two little pony tails up front). Little did I know this would cause such distress. It upset her. She's growing up and doesn't want to look like a little girl.

So we girls had a hair discussion. I explained that the hair issues in this house were not theirs. Clearly they were mine. Most of you who knew me before the age of 15 remembered that my hair was always short. Since then I have always preferred Long hair. And I want it pretty (although, again, only on Sundays). Hopefully they'll forgive me for making them look 2 when they're 12.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I always wanted to be able to do the cute stuff with Adriennes hair. I too am challenged. I wonder if it is a genetic trait? at any rate for some reason Renae can do it and so luck for Miss Brainey she has a mommy that can make her look spectacular. On the church part I remember making bows to match the girls dresses so they would look so cute at church. I also remember finally at age 17 allowing Adrienne to have her hair cut into any style she wanted. She chose one that made her look grown up. I liked it when she looked like she was 12 :)by the way you are a GREAT mother..

Amy said...

Oh the hair! Eventhough I do hair, Im not looking forward to styling little girls hair! They move to much and I get way too impatient!