Nate has a new vocabulary word. EXIST. Don't ask me where he got it, but he did and now he asks: Does the lake exist, does the boat exist, does spiderman exist etc.,etc. So last night we're driving home from Lake Powell after 3 hours driving and 5 tired days on the lake. Our guard was down. We didn't listen as carefully as we should. "Mom," he asks, "does the tooth fairy exist." "YES!!" I answer emphatically. And then the cogs of his brain kick in, his generalization instincts rear their little heads, he remembers that superman, spiderman, and batman are fictional and replies with no perceptible emotion, "the tooth fairy doesn't exist."
Katie, who is not yet ready to make this cognitive steps cries out, "Yes, Nate the tooth fairy exists." At least we still have one believer :)
2 comments:
It is always tricky working around these situations when you have one child who realizes the situation, but you still want the others to believe.
Did I ever tell you my bad parent moment? Andrew was into everything at Nate's age. To relieve myself of stress and anger I would say "I'm going to take you to the orphanage". One day we're driving down the road and he asks "what's that?" and I say "the orphanage", because it was (totally not thinking). The biggest crocodile tears started pouring down his face and I had to pull over. At that moment, by the side of the road, he learned that sometimes momma's have to "talk" themselves out of their anger and that they would NEVER take their precious little boys to the orphanage. Yeah, I know what you mean about your guard being down!
Post a Comment