Friday, August 27, 2010

My One Weakness

Our family is currently watching a BBC Series that is beyond delightful and clever. It is called "Lark Rise to Candleford". In it, one of the main characters-- a single, professional woman-- has any number of simple pleasures. It is a running joke throughout the series that in each episode (something different each time) something will be "my one weakness." My family loves this phrase. Today I have been indulging in playing with MY one weakness-- Books.

When I first met Robert, one of the things that I was attracted to-- among his many other amazing qualities-- was his incredible bookshelf. Not only was it VERY TALL, but it was full to the brim and neatly ordered. Really---love at first sight. At the time I was a starving student with little disposable income. I could buy books for school and nothing else. Also, I had been raised by my mom in a library and I continued this practice throughout college. Until. I. Met. Him......

Robert vehemently believes that a book you can't underline, annotate, or reread is not worth reading in the first place. I have been much converted.
Now, you see, the original bookshelf that drew me to the man is assembled downstairs and the holder of my children's/YA collection which, if you must know, is expansive and has been filled by my other One Weakness-- shopping at thrift stores. While many members of my collection have neon pink price stickers-- they are nonetheless amazing and when my children run out of things to read-- I don't have to hop in a car. I just send them down to the basement. I LOVE MY COLLECTION.

But lately there has been no room left in the inn. Too many great deals and finds and not enough shelves. There are never enough shelves. Digressing again.

Anyway: Spent the morning getting the kids books in order and spent the afternoon cleaning out my bookshelves. Aaaahhhhh. There is empy space. Time to get more books :)

No comments: