
Sis. A. in our ward asked me to take a few minutes in her R.S. lesson to talk about responsibility in children. I told her that I didn't think I was the best person to speak on this topic. Then she said, "I know, that's why I'm asking you." You have to know her. I know she only meant thoughtful things by that statement, so I wasn't offended. But I was thoughtful. My kids do not have a sense in intrinsic responsibility. They work, but they're not Stewards. I'd love for anybody who reads this to give me their ideas on how to get their kids motivated to be responsible. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
2 comments:
My children are not good at this either or maybe I am bad at teaching them because I am such a perfectionist. However, my mom has been living with us and she is teaching me that it is more important to ask them to do a task then worry about if it is done correct. It seems to be working because I haven't made their beds all week. Well, I do make it straighter. Good LUck!
Funny you should bring this up because I have been thinking about the same topic.
I have heard that teaching responsibilty using natural consequences works the best. I am not very good at this, but I am learning, since I have a couple children with minds of their own who constantly test limits.
I started working full-time again recently, and we have to leave really early to get the kids to school. My youngest (8) has taken to sitting around and not getting ready in the mornings causing my oldest to miss her jr. high bus and me to be late for work.
Wednesday said youngest child sat in her pajamas and would not get dressed even when we were literally running out the door. Normally, I would have nagged her until she got ready and we were late.
This time, I decided to try something different. I warned her about 10 minutes before we left that if she didn't get ready, she would be going to school in her pajamas. I'm sure she didn't think I was serious.
She was quite surprised when she didn't get ready and had to get into the car wearing her pajamas. (I took some clothes just in case she wanted to change.)
She was not happy to be going to school in her pajamas, and decided to change in the car before we got there. (It was school picture day that day and I just can't wait to see how her picture looks in the yearbook.:)
However, this morning she was the first child ready and in the car before any of the others.
So I think that setting expectations and communicating those expectations and then stepping back and allowing kids to either choose to meet those expectations and be rewarded or fail and face the consequences is the best.
I also think lots of praise when they do follow through works well.
Post a Comment