Thursday, January 14, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: LOST SYMBOL


Okay, so I loved the DaVinci Code. I freely admit this. I am a sucker for symbols and making connections, etc. I didn't even feel like it was too blasphemous. So I had high hopes for THe Lost Symbol. I was disappointed. Dan Brown's strength is his ability to make symbols accessible. He can explain a symbolic relationship in words that are enlightening. This strength, however, is better suited to a history channel documentary than a novel. The Lost Code is a disappointing jumble of Freemasonry, American History (though, those were the interesting parts), "thought Science" and gratuitous violence. Brown's antagonist is vicious, demonic, relentless, and without remorse for his evil. The DaVinci Code was not near so gratuitously violent. Brown may truly be a One-hit wonder . His works make good movies probably because they are highly edited.

I am interested to research the freemasonry and american History, but I certainly do not need a masochistic killer to learn about it. I am truly disappointed.

Oh, and just a note: Brown mentions religious practices from many religions that are off-putting. He mentions the Mormons "Baptizing of the dead". For those readers of my blog, especially non mormons: -- the text ought to be-- "Baptizing for the dead", which is something entirely different. Mormons believe that all mankind, both those living and those who have gone before should have the opportunity to have the ordinance of baptism and that the Lord has provided a way for living people to stand in as "proxies" for their ancestors so that their ancestors may have all proper ordinances done for them. So live people are baptized for and in behalf of their ancestors.

Interesting note, also: This practice is mentioned in the New Testament in 1 Cor. 15:29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead? (King James Version of the New Testament) Clearly, the Mormons weren't the first to believe that people would be resurrected and need baptism to return to heaven. ANyway, just thought I'd clear that misinformation up.

I'd give the Lost code 3 stars for the really good information on freemasonry, but only 3 stars for the gratuitous violence and strange "New World" religion/science emphasis.

No comments: