
OK. I will risk offending some of those who liked this book. I read the book last year and expect that many will want to see the movie. I haven't seen the movie and probably won't. If you haven't read the book, it's the story of a 14 year old girl speaking from beyond the grave about her murder and the effect her murder has on her family. It includes quite a lot of the father and sister trying to prove their suspicions about the neighbor.
There are no suspicions about the identity of the killer. The main character knows who killed her and tells you from the beginning-- making all of their detective hijinks incredibly scary.
I cannot recommend this book for one reason. It offended my spirit. That's not to say that it wasn't well-written or innovative. It was all of that. But the first 10 pages of this book in which Susie describes her demise was chilling and horrific and, frankly, more than I wanted to handle. I finished this book. But then I had to get rid of it. I didn't even give it away to the DI because I didn't want anyone else reading it. I guess I'm a lightweight when it comes to violence in literature. My college professors might have said that I was "Sheltering Myself", closing myself off.
There are no suspicions about the identity of the killer. The main character knows who killed her and tells you from the beginning-- making all of their detective hijinks incredibly scary.
I cannot recommend this book for one reason. It offended my spirit. That's not to say that it wasn't well-written or innovative. It was all of that. But the first 10 pages of this book in which Susie describes her demise was chilling and horrific and, frankly, more than I wanted to handle. I finished this book. But then I had to get rid of it. I didn't even give it away to the DI because I didn't want anyone else reading it. I guess I'm a lightweight when it comes to violence in literature. My college professors might have said that I was "Sheltering Myself", closing myself off.
Yes.
I'm okay with that.

LEST you think that I am a habitual naysayer, I have just finished book one and an deep in book 2 of "The Hunger Games" which, to be fair, has some violence. But it was engaging and full of great commentarial undertones and I recommend it highly.But not to young kids.
1 comment:
Gail,
I did not like the book either. There is no way I will see the movie. It's okay to say what you like and don't like...who cares what professors say?
Post a Comment